Sink Your Teeth Into Atlantis Dubai’s Shark-Themed Programmes And Celebrate The UAE’s Native Shark Species
- Atlantis Aquaventure_Snorkel_Shark WeekNOT IN ML
- Aquarium Experiences_Ambassador Lagoon_Ultimate Snorkel_Couple With SharksAquarium Experiences_Ambassador Lagoon_Ultimate Snorkel_Couple With Sharks
- Aquaventure Waterpark_Shark Snorkel_Shark LagoonAquaventure Waterpark_Shark Snorkel_Shark Lagoon
- Shark Specialist_Fish Hospital_Shark TeethShark Specialist_Fish Hospital_Shark Teeth
- Aquarium Experiences_Dive Discovery_Family With SharkAquarium Experiences_Dive Discovery_Family With Shark
- Aquaventure Waterpark _Shark Lagoon_Shark Safari_GroupAquaventure Waterpark _Shark Lagoon_Shark Safari_Group
The celebrations will take place from 24th June to 2nd July and include fin-credible frenzy of activities from shark-themed dives to complimentary in-aquarium programming
Atlantis Dubai is celebrating the UAE’s native shark species from Saturday, 24th June to Sunday 2nd July. The theme this year is “Sharks of the UAE”, and The Lost Chambers Aquarium is set to be transformed into a watery world for shark enthusiasts with a jaw-dropping array of fun and educational experiences on offer. There has never been a better time to learn about the UAE’s native shark species and how we can help protect them.
What’s more, through the Atlantis Atlas Project, Atlantis Dubai will double its 1 USD contribution all week long for marine experiences participated in by guests. Shark-lovers can learn more about sharks, be inspired to protect them and give back to initiatives supporting the conservation of this fascinating species in the wild. The list of grantees receiving support from Atlantis Atlas Project’s 1 USD contributions will be awarded later this summer.
Dive Discovery, Predator Dive and Dive Explorer – During the scuba diving programmes available in the Ambassador Lagoon, the UAE’s largest open-air aquarium, guests will be taken on a shark-themed trail where they can swim amongst several shark species, discover mermaid purses (shark’s eggs) and might even be lucky enough to find a shark tooth to take home. Every guest who participates will also receive a free shark -t-shirt as a memento after the dive.
- Ages: 10 years old and above
- 24th June – 2nd July Timings:
- Dive Discovery (For Non-Certified guests): Daily at 10am, 2pm, 5:30pm, 7:30pm
- Predator Dive (For Certified Divers only): Daily at 6:45pm
- Dive Explorer (For Certified Divers only): Daily at 9am
- Prices start from AED 1,050 including an educational briefing, refreshments, dive certificate, shark ID card, and a shark t-shirt. Guests should bring their own swimwear.
Aquatrek Xtreme and Shark Safari – Using a special shark-themed SeaTrek helmet, guests can venture 10m down to the bottom of the Ambassador Lagoon (Aquatrek Xtreme) or explore Aquaventure’s Shark Lagoon (Shark Safari) as an array of marine species, including sharks, rays and colourful fish swim by.
- Ages: 10 years old and above (Shark Safari), 12 years old and above (Aquatrek Xtreme)
- 24th June – 2nd July Timings:
- Aquatrek Xtreme: Daily from 1pm and 4pm
- Shark Safari (Includes Aquaventure admission): Daily from 1pm, 2pm and 3pm
- Prices start from AED 430 including an educational briefing, shark ID card, and a shark t-shirt. Guests should bring their own swimwear.
Shark Snorkel and Ultimate Snorkel – Donning a fun, foam shark fin, guests can swim on the surface of The Shark Lagoon (Shark Snorkel) or the Ambassador Lagoon (Ultimate Snorkel) and marvel at the stunning shark species including those native to the UAE, such as Zebra Sharks, Whitetip Reef Sharks and Arabian Carpetsharks, as well as a whole host of other marine life.
- Ages: 6 years old and above
- 24th June – 2nd July Timings:
- Shark Snorkel: Daily from 10:30am, 11am, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 4:30pm
- Ultimate Snorkel: Daily from - 10:30am, 11:30am, 2pm, 3pm
- From AED 335 including an educational briefing. Guests should bring their own swimwear.
Shark Tales Tour – Guests are invited to go on an exclusive behind the scenes tour of The Lost Chambers Aquarium and discover how Atlantis Dubai cares for 65,000 marine animals. During the tour, shark fans can see all the stages of our shark breeding programmes including the newly hatched baby sharks in the nursery, see real-life shark jaws and teeth, and identify different species of sharks within the Ambassador Lagoon.
- Ages: all ages are welcome
- 24th June – 2nd July Timings: Daily from 11:30am, 12:30pm, 2:30pm, 4:30pm, 5:30pm, 6:30pm
- From AED 45
Shark Specialist – Budding Shark Specialists will enjoy a visit to the state-of-the-art Fish Hospital with our Aquarists and learn all about our different species of sharks and how we care for them. Guests will get a chance to feed our newly born sharks and rays, learn about our shark breeding programmes and discover what it takes to care for marine animals in The Lost Chambers Aquarium.
- Ages: 8-14 years old
- 24th June – 2nd July Timings: 1pm on Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- Prices start at AED 300 including a certificate, complimentary photo, drawstring bag, and a reusable water bottle.
COMPLIMENTARY SHARK ACTIVITIES
Visitors to The Lost Chambers Aquarium will also be treated to a whole host of complimentary in-aquarium activities. This includes a Shark Quest Trivia Challenge from 10am-9pm daily where guests will follow a trail through the aquarium answering questions alongside life-size shark cutouts (entrants will be in with the chance to win a shark-themed weekend stay at Atlantis, The Palm); Shark-Themed Aquatheatre with Atlantis scuba divers at 10:30am and 3:45am daily; a Shark Nursery Expert Talk at 11am and 2pm daily; Underwater Shark Feeding for guests to discover how we feed our sharks and rays at 2:30pm daily; and a Shark Trivia Quiz for guests to test their razor-sharp knowledge at 6:30pm daily.
Visitors can also say hello to the friendly mascot, who will be floating along The Avenues at Atlantis, The Palm and The Lost Chambers Aquarium daily from 9:30am to 6pm.
Aquaventure Waterpark guests can participate in the fun with a series of complimentary activities taking place at Neptune Tower, including a Baby Shark Dance (3pm daily), Shark Toss (4:30pm daily), Be A Shark Contest (5:30pm daily), and Shark Photo Frenzy (6:00pm daily). By participating, guests will have the chance to sink their teeth into some fun prizes.
SHARKS OF THE UAE
It's no surprise that many different types of sharks call the UAE home, at least for a few months of the year, as the UAE and its neighbouring countries are blessed with a rich and vibrant level of biodiversity. And as with any healthy ecosystem, sharks are there to maintain it. Here are a few little-known facts about the sharks who share the coastline with Dubai residents:
- Most sharks are actually coastal species but will rarely venture inland. There are yearly sightings of large whale sharks along the beaches and the marinas of Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
- One of the most common species of sharks that lives in the Gulf is the Blacktip Reef Shark. Blacktip Reef Sharks are generally small, growing only to a maximum of 1.6 metres with a slim and streamlined body shape. With their calm and docile nature, these sharks pose very little threat to people and are certainly not to be feared.
- Fears about sharks are often misguided, as sharks are far less dangerous than movies like Steven Spielberg’s 1975 classic ‘Jaws’ depict. A shark’s instinct when discovering that humans are near is to turn the other way – because more often than not, the average-sized person will be much bigger than most sharks.
- Sadly, approximately 75 million sharks are killed every year, either through targeted fisheries or as bycatch, with the main driver being their fins which are used for shark fin soup. Sharks play a crucial role in maintaining the health of the oceans, and therefore must be protected. The presence of reef-associated sharks in the UAE’s ecosystem is a promising sign that it is healthy.
- To help protect sharks under threat in the wild, people can choose to buy responsibly-sourced seafood, avoid buying shark products, and support organisations that work to protect this fascinating marine animal.
To learn more about Atlantis Atlas Project and get involved with its upcoming initiatives, please visit: www.atlantis.com/atlasproject.
About Atlantis Atlas Project
Atlantis Atlas Project is Atlantis Dubai’s commitment to do business in ways that are good for both people and planet, by focusing on Responsible Operations, Conservation & Animal Welfare, Education & Awareness, and Corporate Social Responsibility. Atlantis Atlas Project endeavours to be a leader in responsible tourism, ensuring that Atlantis Dubai stands above the rest, whilst providing guest experiences that are more extraordinary than ever. The destination provides immersive experiences and opportunities for guests to learn about the local environment both in and outside of the resort. From inspiring young explorers and families to learn about marine conservation through educational programmes to offering 100+ locally and responsibly sourced dishes across restaurants and cafes around the resort, guests are actively encouraged to participate in Atlantis Atlas Project. Atlantis Dubai is also dedicated to supporting the local community and contributes 1 USD from every marine animal experience to projects which make measured impacts on conservation, education and society. Atlantis Dubai has been awarded EarthCheck Silver Certification for the past three years, recognising its contributions to social and environmental sustainability and accreditation from the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, the internationally-recognised gold standard for animal welfare and care.
About Atlantis, The Palm, Dubai
Located at the centre of the crescent of The Palm in Dubai, Atlantis, The Palm is the first entertainment resort destination in the region. Opened in September 2008, the unique ocean-themed resort features a variety of marine and entertainment attractions, as well as 22 hectares of waterpark amusement at Atlantis Aquaventure, all within a 46-hectare site. It is home to one of the biggest waterparks in the world and one of the largest open-air marine habitats, with more than 65,000 marine animals in lagoons and displays including The Lost Chambers Aquarium, a maze of underwater corridors and passageways providing a journey through ancient Atlantis. Aquaventure Waterpark features 23.5 million litres of fresh water used to power 105 thrilling waterslides and attractions, including several world record-breaking slides, and two river rides featuring tidal waves and pools, water rapids and white-water chargers. Dolphin Bay, the unparalleled dolphin conservation and education habitat, and Sea Lion Point were created to provide guests with a once in a lifetime opportunity to learn more about some of nature’s most friendly mammals. The resort boasts an impressive collection of luxury boutiques and shops as well as extensive meeting and convention facilities. Atlantis, The Palm is also known as the culinary destination in the region where guests can take their pick from a collection of 35 world-renowned restaurants including the one Michelin star rated Hakkasan and Ossiano, as well as celebrity chef outposts Bread Street Kitchen & Bar by Gordon Ramsay and Nobu. Atlantis is also home to a buzzing nightlife scene with entertainment destination Wavehouse offering something for everyone, while WHITE Beach is the perfect place to unwind with a drink as the sun slips into the Arabian Sea.